Monday, May 21, 2012

Good Days

There cannot be anything sweeter than apple blossoms on an old tree in a back yard with Penobscot Bay surf in the distance and kid laughter closer by. 3 consecutive days of blissful weather here on the island have brought productive time on the boat, and rest and rejuvenation with my two younger kids.  It was magical to see this place through their eyes with its hiding places, giant elephant ear rhubarb leaves, hammock, green grass and soft early summer air. Our future here is precarious. Our present is magic.

Then today I get a little sniff of what the money may be like when the lobsters show up. It is flat calm with dazzling sunshine. I'm running the boat, hauling gear, making all the moves more fluidly, doing things that are still new in that I didn't start doing this when I was 14, yet the work settles in a little every day.

Yep. Still stuck. Financial realities are painful to confront. Not sure what I'll be doing or where I'll be living in the longer term, but today, I am a fisherman, and it is good. There is even a respectable paycheck.

No comments:

Post a Comment